Conceived from a dream, built with sheer determination and an intense work ethic, Ripplecove rose up on the shores of Lake Massawippi, surrounded by the Appalachians, in 1945. Little more than pasture land at the time, Archie and Elizabeth Stafford, original owners, envisioned a summer retreat like no other in the Eastern Townships of Québec.
Only steps from the pristine water’s edge, Ripplecove soon became “the hidden jewel”; a coveted country lodge catering to a clientele of outdoorsmen from Canada, the United States and Europe. They came to experience the legendary fishing (30 lb trout were not unusual!), exceptional meals, and accommodations. The historical pictures hanging in the Inn today definitely show that they never went away disappointed!
Word spread quickly and Ripplecove soon became a popular four season destination for discerning travelers from around the world. In 1984, Ripplecove entered into the hands of the current owners, Jeffrey and Debra Stafford .. A new generation of hoteliers with an updated vision to revitalize and reaffirm Ripplecove’s enviable international reputation.
Residing on a private peninsula, a privileged site directly on the shores of Lake Massawippi, this award winning hotel offers historic charm with modern splendor to fashion a distinct getaway. Whether your interests identify with the arts or the sports world, a wealth of four season leisure and sporting activities await you, both on site and throughout the region. Ripplecove boasts the only full service spa, “Arboressence” on Lake Massawippi. The serenity and beauty of this special site will engulf you.
*Ripplecove is proudly certified by “Green Key” in recognition of the hotel’s green initiatives to reduce its environmental footprint and respect sustainable business practices.
Ripplecove is only three hours from Quebec City, an hour and a half from Montreal and just 15 minutes from the Vermont border. Literally, only minutes from Autoroute 55.
The authentic lakeside view and sumptuous design combined with Ripplecove’s culinary experience will take you above and beyond your expectations. Inspired by the finest array of local and regional produce, our Chef’s innovative creations will please the most discerning palate. Pair your personal selection with a fine vintage from our award winning wine cellar and complete the adventure.
Our Spa name is borrowed from the Latin aborēscēns, relating to the characteristics of a tree. More than just symbolic, the Arboressence Spa is set among native pines, and features exposed timbers in its design and decor. The outdoor four-season hot tub sits beneath a forest canopy, while providing a view of the lake through the trees. Indeed, Arboressence is the right name. In keeping with its authentic nature, only the finest organic products used in skin care is carried by Arboressence.
The Spa is open to hotel guests and the general public alike by appointment. A sample menu is provided at left.
Ripplecove’s Commitment to Sustainability & Environmental Preservation:
Nestled within the Appalachian Mountains on the shores of Lake Massawippi, Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel’s heritage and core values are based on its pristine natural location. Our dedication to preserving the natural environment goes far beyond appreciation. We have significantly decreased the output of hazardous wastes by embodying the notion reduce, reuse, recycle. Our commitment in using biodegradable, non-toxic cleaning products (eco-logo) and garden applications emanates our promise to help preserve the vibrancy of our lakes and waterways. However, our efforts must also create positive change beyond the resort. Our local community and natural landscape is the very fabric among which Ripplecove was established in 1945. By sourcing locally in our kitchens to the fullest extent possible, we are doing our part to encourage a sustainable food network with local suppliers and artisans. Working with companies such as Kruger’s Forest Stewardship line and Eminence organic, spa products ensures that our voice is heard on a broader scale as an eco-conscious corporate consumer. We all have a vital role to play, and together we can ensure that our treasured waterways and forests are preserved for future generations.
Our Keystone Commitments:
- Member of Green Key, a Canadian Hotel Association program dedicated to recognize hotels, motels and resorts that are committed to improving their fiscal and environmental performance.
- Silver Sponsor of Duck’s Unlimited Canada, a non-governmental organization that protects Canada’s wetlands and other associated habitat.
- All office paper and bathroom sanitary supplies are from Kruger’s Forest Stewardship line. Significant paper use reduction in administrative practice with the use of the internet.
- Water Preservation Protocol through client voluntary towel reuse reduces water and cleaning agents used for laundry services
- Q Water filtration system eliminates the use of plastic water bottles in our dining room, spa, rooms, and meeting rooms.
- Ripplecove’s gardens and lawns are 100% pesticide-free
- Cleaning products are biodegradable and certified with the Eco-logo.
- Cooking oil, electronics, cardboard, glass and paper are all recycled.
- Electronic devices, furniture and linens are all donated to local community bodies, for example: Churches, Veterans’ Legions, Schools, Salvation Army, local Donation Centres that redistribute to those in need.
- Proper disposal of all hazardous wastes at the Ayer’s Cliff Eco-Centre, such as;
- paints, stains, varnishes
- electronic and electrical waste
- used batteries
- Edison light bulbs are being replaced by energy efficient CFLs and LEDs within an organized time frame terminating in 2018.
- All oil paints are phased out and replaced with Benjamin Moore’s latex green lines.
- Replacement of appliances when necessary with more energy efficient models.